Taught by Tara (a.k.a. La Tarara of Sendero Flamenco). Open to ages 12 & up. Class sizes will be kept small (maximum of 10 students in regular classes) so that everyone will receive individual attention and have room to move! We will advance at whatever speed is comfortable for the students. Private small group classes, individual lessons, and specialty workshops are also available. Please contact me: 612.203.6188 or email@example.com
Intro to Flamenco CANCELED due to low enrollment.
Intro to Flamenco Part 1
Wednesdays, May 8-29
For those new to flamenco, this is the place to start! This will touch on a little of everything about flamenco: History, terminology, song forms, basic dance movements, and more. We will listen to music, learn palmas, begin to recognize palos, and learn to be an educated aficionado. These classes are designed so that you may take them in any order. Feel free to drop in whenever your schedule allows. No special shoes or clothes needed. Come as you are.
$30 per session (4 classes); $10 Drop-in
*This class needs a minimum of 5 pre-registered participants. If you plan to attend, make your intentions known!*
Sevillanas with Castanets
Sundays, May 5 – 26
Are you ready to challenge yourself? Learn how to dance the Spanish festival dance Sevillanas while playing the hand percussion instrument, castanets or palillos that have become typical of Spanish folklore.
Special flamenco shoes are not necessary for this class, but are of course welcomed. A smooth-soled (not rubber), sturdy-heeled (1-1.5″ high) shoe or boot reserved for dancing is recommended. If you do not have anything suitable, you may dance barefoot. Please contact me if you have questions or for recommendations about where to purchase appropriate shoes.
If you do not have castanets, there are some available for purchase at the studio. Please contact me so that I may reserve a pair for you. Cost for student castanets is $16.
Beginner Castanet Technique Part 2
Sundays, Apr. 7, 14, 28
Sunday Apr. 21
Castanets are a percussion instrument that are several centuries old and which, as time passed, has become typical of Spanish folklore. In Andalusia, they are known as “palillos” and are used in dances that are not entirely flamenco, such as sevillanas and fandangos.
In this class, we will learn to play the castanets first as an instrument and then we will incorporate them into dance.
$30 per session (4 classes) or $10 drop-in.
Castanets are available for purchase at the studio. $16.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a follow-up session to a class that has met for 6 weeks. New students are welcome, but be aware that you will have some catching up to do.
Beginner/Advanced Beginner Technique
Mondays, April 22 – May 27
Instructor permission required to join this class. Call Tara at 612.203.6188 to discuss your flamenco dance history. **Must have flamenco shoes or boots.**
$105 for full session (6 classes); $20 drop-in
A 90 minute class focusing on clean, strong, and accurate footwork; graceful arms and hands; balance; palmas; combinations; and transitions. We will work on the tangos palo.
Note: If I have at least 5 people commit to this 6 week session I will be able to have live guitar for at least half of our classes. Please make your intentions known!
*Please note: It is up to my discretion to cancel a class if there are not enough students registered. If you intend to attend a class and not using PayPal to register, please email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call (612.203.6188) so that I know to expect you. Thank you! Tara
Students will have TWO optional performance opportunities every month where they can show off what they’ve learned while accompanied by a live guitarist.
- Every first Friday from 6-9pm at Studio Sendero during Lowertown First Friday open artists’ studios. FREE (donations accepted)
- Once a month at Black Dog Coffee & Wine Bar for Sendero’s monthly open stage event called “The Gathering” (check our calendar for upcoming dates)*.
$5 door. $8 advance reserved seats with wait staff.
- Some classes are in sessions due to the nature of learning choreography. These classes have a specific start and end date and your tuition is for those dates.
- Please be respectful of everyone’s time and show up for class early enough to prepare yourself to begin on schedule.
- Every dance class will begin with a short warm-up session (approximately 10 minutes). If your body requires extra warm-up time, please do so in advance of the class start time.
- Please bring water with you.
- Please refrain from wearing perfumes or other scented products.
- No street shoes (shoes worn outside) or dark rubber-soled shoes are allowed on the dance floor. Please have appropriate shoes reserved for dancing. If you have questions, ask!
- NEW STUDENTS: Print, fill out, and bring this Liability Waiver & Emergency Contact form to your first class. Students under 18 years of age must have a parent/guardian signature.